I suggest you ...

Add an option to specify where to save uploads (Images, Docs, etc.) in site FTP

Instead of uploading images and docs to a pagelime space upload it to a folder on the FTP of the site so that it does not become dependent on pagelime

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jorge Fernandez shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    AdminKJ (Support, PageLime) responded  · 

Hey Jorge, I’m not sure that we should allow this, as it introduces yet another moving part into the whole system we’d have to keep track off, and it would make debugging customers’ problems difficult. The other benefit is that we have full control of that “cms-assets” directory, and don’t have to worry about naming conflicts, and deleting old content. My concern is that someone would clear their images folder, and inadvertently delete all their Pagelime content as well.

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Colin commented  · 

A definite must. Pagelime is a great way for people to help maintain a site but all the main resources we keep on the site are hidden from them at the moment. The most common thing my website admins do is upload a weekly pdf newsletter and put a link to it on a page. They can do it in contribute (which I hate!) but not in pagelime. Why on earth not? They can create a new webpage on the main site but not an image or a linked document.

• Del commented  · 

I too am finding this the biggest downside with PageLime.

Allowing an administrator to specify an upload location for documents and images provides huge benefits and the downsides you mention emil are negligable. Theres no reason why there couldn't be an 'images' or 'documents' folder in the 'cms-assets' folder. It allows developers to build more custom gallery and document library display options for a start.

Then there's the big concern of not having control over documents and images added to a site (ie i no longer own them, Amazon/Pagelime does). I cant provide links in email newsletters or emails to a document for example as users expect a www.mysite.com/documents/specialoffer.pdf not a long winded amazon AWS link.

I would urge you to reconsider this as at the moment it's meaning im likely to need to use another free CMS provider.

• Craig commented  · 

Actually the cms-assets folder is on your server not on a Page Lime server. So you can move your site and take all of the files loaded to the cms-assets folder with it.

• mookie commented  · 

I agree with both lys & Jorge. If we need to move the site, much of the content would not even be on our server, and even if we somehow downloaded the image gallery, we'd have to update all the image links, right? Check out Cushy and FreeCMS -- they allow this. Thanks!

• lys commented  · 

I also am hugely in favor of this. It is probably the biggest checkmark in the "disadvantage" column for me (I'm comparing Pagelime to two other services). If the client no longer wants to use Pagelime, their uploads are gone. Also, as a developer, I don't like having half the images/docs on the server, and half somewhere else. To address your concern, Emil, I think maybe this feature might be independent of the "gallery" feature? Meaning they would not appear in the gallery, and would not be able to delete them. Maybe you choose to use the "gallery", OR have uploads go to the server? Both other CMS's I'm looking at allow you to upload to the server and also designate what folder on the server uploads will go to. Thanks for your consideration! :)

• Jorge Fernandez commented  · 

The thing i don't like is that this makes the site dependent on pagelime. What happend when a user cancels thier account are the images taken offline?

Maybe you can have an option where the default is to your site and the advanced is on the FTP

Feedback and Knowledge Base