Add plugins or modules like a calendar, form editor, blog, etc.
Add some more functionality rather then just text and images. A small blog app, a calendar app, add forms or edit forms. Add pages with SEO Friendly URLs. Ability to add a navigation(not a main nav). Something like that.
We’re starting work on “Widgetizing” Pagelime in August.
Yes I agree with tgg, jquery image galleries are what's needed, the lightbox type gallery is not that great due to the way the thumbnails are spread across the screen. jquery sliders which allow clients to update their images would be fab.
can you add to the list?... different types of sliders that the clients can drop into their website and be able to load the photos into the gallery. sliders like auto slider like jquery cycle, number sliders and so on. Thanks
Any update? We need to have blog functionality within Pagelime. This is a must for our clients. Any ETA would be appreciated. Other than that, great work. I am loving pagelime. It just needs to be able to support blogging.
I think modules are a fantastic idea and would definitely add value to Pagelime. The beauty of Pagelime though is it's so simple to integrate, so hopefully the guys will find a graceful way of doing this ... the ability to disable features is a good way to go.
For more complex modules though, I would go the way of Mailchimp and partner with a company who does this day in, day out. Mailchimp integrated Eventbrite well.
The only thing I would worry about with this approach is the extra cost to the client, and a reliance on a third party vendor.
How about a widgetizing feature for repeatable areas? If an area is repeatable, we should be able to select whether or not to widgetize that repeatable region so clients can plug it in on another page.
Yeah, I'm going to agree with Rick and totally disagree with todd, saway, and markus. What a pain it is for a user to login into a cms, then have to log into a blog, then a separate login for a calendar. Having it all in one will be so simple for the client, and if they don't want it, click it off. It's also something great to upsell. A simple blog or calendar without having to spend the hours coding it or configuring some 3rd app.
Markus Mayer-Roth commented
I strongly go with sawayaconsulting and Todd McGregor.
I’m currently evaluating Pagelime for production and feel, that it should do exactly what it does: Edit-In-Place for slim and handtooled XHTML-pages done by thinking, professional web people. Roughly 75% of our clients don’t need site management features, such as editing menus and so forth. The remaining 25% are covered perfectly well by WP, Drupal & Co.
I have to admit that I was initially bewildered by Pagelime’s simplicity, but the more I dig into the possibilities, the more I’m convinced that it should stay simple. Want a picture gallery? Hey, feel free to integrate the solution of your choice! This is what Pagelime is all about: Building individual sites according to whatever standards you see fit and then plugging in editors exactly where your clients need them.
@Rick: If you feel that DB-driven CMSs are too complicated for you or your users, you should give Squarespace a shot. Blog-centric, module-laden, beautiful foolproof GUI. Totally different concept, but probably what you’re looking for …
I have to disagree with both Todd McGregor and sawayaconsulting. Having a simple easy to use CMS with some basic modules like forms, and photo galleries is a must. But I would like the to enable/disable these features.
Wordpress, Joomla and Dupral are too complicated and over kill for non tech users.
Todd McGregor commented
Disclaimer: I'm not yet using PageLime, but considering it for our sites.
If this is important to you, then I agree with sawayaconsulting, use drupal or joomla or dotnetnuke or any of the other half-baked CMS systems that promise the world and don't deliver. The beauty of the PageLime model is simplicity. If I need news articles or calendars or anything else I can build it myself, or integrate a 3rd party component. Let me manage the complex portions of the site using my tool of choice (Visual Studio in my case) and let PageLime give my end users a simple interface for changing text and images. A big thumbs down from me on this idea.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to supply a method so that óther developers can write their own plug-ins? This way pagelime can focus on core functionality.
I'd like to request that if/when these are added they are done as features that can be enabled/disabled per website. One of the things we loved about choosing PageLime is that it is so basic and perfect for our clients who only need to edit — if we were doing modules we'd go with wordpress or drupal for planned integrations.
please the news box it's very important as well. I suggest this basic plugin. NEWS, GALLERY, FORMS (contact, newsletter basic).