I suggest you ...

admins specify which "div tags" certain users can edit.

Rather than having a universal "cms-editable" tag to specify editable regions, allow the admins to specify which of their users can edit certain tags.

For example:
Bob can edit tags named "cms-editable-bob".
John can edit tags named "cms-editable-john", but not Bob's tags.
Betty, member of the IT staff can edit all tags.

This would give admins a little more control over who can edit what on their websites, as opposed to a free-for-all where any user can edit any page or tag.

This is a great service! Keep it up!!

95 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    wesleydawson90wesleydawson90 shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rcdeckrcdeck commented  · 

Thanks for posting this Wesley, genius idea :)

• robrob commented  · 

I think this feature would be great, please implement it soon.

• intenseintense commented  · 

I'm currently building a site that'll have several hundred clients each with their own page that will be editable. Originally I was going to go with another cms to accomplish this but PageLime has a great interface that my clients will take to far more easily. The only problem is that I need to be able to specify exactly what pages each client can edit which is the only thing holding me back from grabbing a pro account. The ability to group clients and associate privelidges to the group would be great for a site with a large volume of users.

• BaerMarketingBaerMarketing commented  · 

great idea! I think per page permissions would work. For instance, I update a site monthly but I have created 3 pages where the client can edit those pages via PageLime. I've also realized that many of my edits are easier in PageLime rather than in the raw code. But I don't want the client to be able to access the areas I can edit. So right now, I've code my editable areas with a different editable tag and I switch the editable tag whenever I want to edit my areas. Then I switch it back to the regular cms-editable for the client after I'm done with my areas. So a per page permissions would work great. Different editable tags with permissions would also work more universally, which I'm already doing, but in a very round-about way.

• NeilDNeilD commented  · 

This is a great idea!

• kip shawkip shaw commented  · 

I really like this idea! We have a page of restaurant listings where we want to offer each restaurant the chance to update their specials and prices. But I DON'T want them changing the phone number of another restaurant, which would be mighty hard to see!

• ndrone1ndrone1 commented  · 

I think this is a good idea, but I kind of wonder if it would be just as easy for designers to still be the one and only administrators and simply log in to edit the code. I guess most think that's too hard and I guess I understand, but it seems to me just editing the code from an administrator's point of view will generally get the job done for none-accessible Pagelime CMS objects.

• RickyPRickyP commented  · 

Great idea.
        My reasons would be to stop certain users from being able to edit some areas, such as menus, includes.
        So would require a class " cms-editable-restricted-Bob" ect, the administrator would then assign permissions to a user to edit all or only "cms-editable-restricted-Bob" type of areas. The CMS would need to detect the 'Restricted' class and display the Name 'Bob'. Bob could be replaced by whatever is appropriate to that project: "cms-editable-restricted-Guests", "cms-editable-restricted-Reply" etc.

In my requirement "cms-editable-restricted-Comments" so my users can offer access to there own users to reply to his comments.

• Lee BoardmanLee Boardman commented  · 

A per page permissions screen would be perfect for a project I'm working on at the moment. Great idea!

• Thomas JThomas J commented  · 

This certainly would help with the project I am working on. Thanks for the consideration

• chrischris commented  · 

I think div specific permissions are a good idea. But it should be set through cms somehow and not through code. Because through code the coder needs to be aware/informed of permissions and I don't think this is feasible in large web development companies.

• wesleydawson90wesleydawson90 commented  · 

Thanks! I really am glad I came across this service. With everything that I hear you all have planned, it will be everything I need to solve a ton of my problems I was facing as IT Director.

• emilAdminemil (Admin, PageLime) commented  · 

I like the concept! I don't know if it should be a code level thing. Perhaps it could be done as a per page permissions screen. It would take some manual configuration per page to get the permissions set up. Tom and I will walk through this and white board some ideas, and probably share them on the blog.

Feedback and Knowledge Base